Monday 23 September 2013

Treading the Boards at Chester


 


As a first-year Creative Writing and Drama student, I was immediately on the alert, on starting at Chester University, for any drama productions that I could get involved with. It was amazing to find that, within the very first term, there would be auditions for Shakespeare’s As You Like It. Myself and two friends, who also studied in the English and Drama departments, put our names down right away, as we each shared an interest in Shakespeare. We then convinced a fellow English student to audition as well. We never looked back. All four of us were successful in securing the roles we wanted, and every rehearsal was a welcome break from academic study. We met some excellent people, not only from our own year but from those above us. I was also involved in a separate production with the University of Chester Drama Society, and often had to juggle my studies with two lots of rehearsals. It was tough, though ultimately rewarding!

When we heard that the director, English lecturer Dr Graham Atkin (whom we all came to love), was going to be putting on another Shakespeare play in the next academic year, myself and the two aforementioned friends signed up to be part of it once again. Romeo and Juliet was an equally enjoyable experience, and we met even more brilliant people who became very close friends. In my second year, I was also chosen for the role of Vice President of the Drama Society, so I found that not only did I have my academic commitments but those of co-running a society, and rehearsing for R&J. Stressful though it became, I wouldn’t change a thing: it was all worth it in the end, and I’m proud of everyone who was involved.

Billy Woolrich

BA (Hons) Creative Writing and Drama, University of Chester (2010–2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment